Stephen C. Kurczy
email@example.com – firstname.lastname@example.org – 860-556-3887
Columbia University, New York, NY: Knight-Bagehot Fellow 2016-2017, M.S. in Journalism, May 2017.
Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI: B.A. in philosophy with minors in physics and journalism, May 2005.
Budapest University of Technology and Economics, Hungary: Study abroad, fall 2004.
Special Correspondent at Americas Quarterly, Brazil and New York, NY: October 2015 – August 2016
- Reported and edited for leading Latin America-focused magazine published by Americas Society. Covered business, politics, culture; produced new podcast; developed readership growth strategy.
Contributing Reporter, South America: September 2013 – August 2016
- Reported features for Fusion, The New Yorker, VICE, and Zócalo Public Square. Covered business and economics, politics and foreign relations, culture and mega-events, including World Cup and Olympics.
Correspondent at Monitor Global Outlook, Brazil: September 2013 – September 2015
- Correspondent and editor for start-up emerging markets-focused news service from The Christian Science Monitor. Conducted quarterly risk surveys and country market reports.
Reporter at Financial Times Group, New York, NY: June 2011 – July 2013
- Reported on distressed debt situations for FT Group’s news wire Debtwire. Broke news on corporate mergers, acquisitions, restructurings, and bankruptcies.
International Desk Editor at The Christian Science Monitor, Boston, MA: January 2010 – May 2011
- Assigned and edited articles. Reported and blogged for weekly magazine and 24-hour news site.
Foreign Correspondent, Southeast Asia: March 2009 – December 2009
- Contributor and investigative reporter for Asia Times Online, The Christian Science Monitor, The Economist, Far Eastern Economic Review, GlobalPost, The National, Reuters.
Journalism Lecturer at Royal University of Phnom Penh, Cambodia: Spring 2009
- Taught introductory reporting class at Cambodia’s premier school for journalism.
Associate Editor at The Cambodia Daily, Phnom Penh: December 2007 – March 2009
- Reported for nation’s oldest English-language daily, including on-the-ground files from 2008 Thai-Cambodia border war and investigative profiles of former Khmer Rouge military cadres.
Legal Reporter at American Lawyer Media, New York, NY: January 2007 – December 2007
- Wrote up to a dozen reports a week summarizing multimillion-dollar court cases nationwide.
Town Reporter at The Day, New London, CT: June 2005 – September 2006
- Covered town politics and small business for weekly newspaper run by The Day of New London, which is regularly named a New England Newspaper of the Year.
2017 Columbia University: $2,500 research grant for an outstanding book-writing student.
2017 Women’s Economic Round Table (WERT) Essay Contest: First place $2,000 prize.
2007 Connecticut Society of Professional Journalists: Second place for best “in-depth series.”
2006 New England Press Association: First place for best “social issues feature story.”
826NYC Writing Center, New York, NY, 2006 – 2007: Tutored students and assisted with writing workshops.
Habitat for Humanity, Grand Rapids, MI, 2002: Helped build homes for low-income families.
East Grand Rapids High School, Grand Rapids, MI, 2002: Tutored Latino immigrants in general subjects.
Eastern European Outreach, Kiev, Ukraine, 2001: Counselor at youth camp for low-income children.
OTHER SKILLS & EXPERIENCES
Computer and Web: Proficient in Excel, Final Cut Pro, iMovie, MS Publisher, MS Word, WordPress.
Social Media: Personal website “www.stephenkurczy.com” maintained since 2009; active on Twitter since 2010.
Language: Coursework and experience in Hungarian, Khmer, Portuguese, Spanish.
Travel and Adventure: Visited more than 35 countries across four continents; bicycled across North America (2004); traveled overland across Asia from Beijing to Istanbul (2009); climbed Mt. Aconcagua, tallest peak in Western Hemisphere (2014).